Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Heathens Adopted A Trail!

I am a card carrying member of many groups, mostly non-profit environmental groups, but also a wildlife rescue and a social agnostics and atheist group. I love my life!

After being here for just a few months, I decided I needed to combine a few of my interests and do something good for the Silverdale community - so I pitched to the Kitsap Atheists and Agnostics that we adopt section of the Clear Creek Trail. Everyone readily accepted, thinking it would give us all a good way to use our time and give back a bit, but also could, possibly, change peoples minds about us (you know, us religionless, selfish swine). It ends up being the perfect community activity for our group, our members mostly being the out-doorsy type and many are in the botany/landscaping profession.

 The group! +/- a few... Think, herding cats...
The Trail! Looking East
Looking West

So that was that - the birth of our Adopt-A-Trail! We are going to maintain a 1/4 mile section of Clear Creek Trail, spanning from Silverdale Way to the end of Schold Rd, just north of Waaga Way! Our objective is to remove invasive species (scotch broom, blackberry, ivy, etc.), plant trees and native bushes, pick up any waste, and monitor the CREEK BEAVERS we have residing along our trail!

 Newly planted additions!

We had our first and only meeting with a "senior" member of the Clear Creek Squad - she showed us around, where we should concentrate our efforts and what is considered the right and wrong things to do. During our explorations of the surrounding off-trail areas, one of my friends/member found a huge wasp nest - then the debate about removal ensued.


I'll post updates! We have some big plans for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment