Monday, June 18, 2012

Which Came First?!

The Lucius or the egg?!

Who cares! All I know they are both in my house right now - Lucius and her eggs!

That's right, Lucius, who, yes, I always call "he" is actually a "she." Don't get me wrong, I've been 90% sure of this since forever.. but she's a lizard and its hard to tell, but frankly, I didn't care. She's always been Lucius to me.

So, Chad came home today during lunch and sent me a text with this picture:


"Look! we have baby Lucius eggs!"

At that time she had only had 3 and he thought she was working on her 4th. By the time I got home though, she had had SEVEN!! Seven little eggs! Well little is relative... they were each about an inch by a half inch - which considering her body is only about 9 inches long... I think they were huge!!!!




As soon as I saw them and snapped a few pictures, I scooped them all out and put them in a bowl. Then I put that bowl in the only logical place I could think of - the fridge. See, I didn't want her trampling them and I knew they weren't viable (she has lived alone for five years....), but most of all I wanted to show them to people... like my husband and my friend :)

6 white ones and 1 yellow one. 
This is common for lizards, by the way, most species will have eggs a few times throughout their lives, regardless of sex or not. Funny fact though - for the mali uromastyx - both the white and yellow eggs are typical. In breeding females the yellow eggs always indicated unfertilized eggs, while white ones could be or not.

So, I am happy. Eggs = Healthy FEMALE Lizard. Healthy Lizard = Happy Tara.

1 comment: