Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Who Cut the Cheese - Take 2

We'll, I was at it again - making some cheese! Chevre!

This time it was goat cheese, with fresh, local goat milk from Hansville Creamery! 


And it was not nearly as tedious as last time! Chevre is easy to make and is delicious and versatile.

 My awesome set up! I brought the milk to 74 degrees and added the culture.

   Let it sit for 9 hours at between 71-73 degrees, till it looked like this.

  Then I put the curds in a colander lined with butter muslin.
 
  Where it drained for seven hours.

 Then, I put it into a container and mushed it up! All done!

I really don't have much to say other than it was totally delicious. The flavor was AS good as store bought (which is great cause I love the taste of chevre from the store) but with the added bonus of changing, for the better, over the 10 days I ate it. It started out quite mild and finished rather tangy. The texture was BETTER than store bought, which I often think is far too dry and mouth moisture sucking. Mine was soft and moist and full of smooth texture.


I actually took this one to a couple of events and shared it. Packed it with some dried  italian herbs and sun dried tomato and served it with crackers.

I'll definitely be making this again! and again.... and again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment