Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Where are all the Trees??

That's what Chad said when we landed in Denver this past Friday! It was his first visit to Colorado, and apparently it didn't immediately meet his expectations!

My two favorite things about Colorado:

1) Some of my favorite people live there.

2) The abundance of micro-brews.

We had been planning on visiting Colorado for quite some time, it was "our turn" as Graham liked to say. Finally, when getting a job was imminent, I planned a trip! And I am SOOOOO glad that I did! We had a blast - a weekend full of - well - just, good. Really good.

We hung out all weekend with Graham and Kristy's family. We went to the zoo, played a bunch of games (I have a new favorite!! Scattergories!) and ate tons of Kristy's delicious cooking! Their two kids are total sweethearts! and I have some Emma-originals on my fridge!


Graham introduced us to the world of Colorado micro-brews. Started off with a six pack of Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale - delicious - almost Newcastle like with a back end of sweet maple syrup! Then, for our night out - which Kristy made me totally beautiful for - we went out to Flat Iron, which is a cool upscale Applebee's like restaurant, we had a few others including Ellie's Brown Ale - a slightly hoppy red. Then on the way home we picked up yet some more, this time Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and Durango Amber Ale - both were fantastic.

The next day, Chad and I said goodbye and left the Facer home (unfortunately the time had to come...). On our way out of Colorado Springs we stopped by the Garden of the Gods, a very cool, city park, just off the freeway and worth the hour long tour. The park is special because it is filled with figures of sandstone and conglomerant, that are standing in places where they seem both out of place or impossible. They are remnants of the original Rockies. But beware, the map you get from the gift store makes the attractions look EPIC! Well... they are not. They are not nearly as big or exciting as you expect, but still very cool in their own right. As we were leaving we stumbled upon Trinity Brewing - a place Graham had mentioned and holy goodness, I'm glad he did - I have a new favorite overall brewery. 




Their beers were all quite complex and flavorful, and though unique, not TOO boastful or weird. What I mean is, though there were subtle "different" flavors like cardamon and coffee - there were none that were UBER hoppy or so off in one direction that the general masses couldn't enjoy them. Their Flo IPA was delicious, a bright, hoppy flavor but not overly bitter, and their Awaken Stout was an amazing, non-bacon tasting, coffee noted stout... and I usually totally dislike IPAs and Stouts....


After our small lunch at Trinity we went to our hotel near Denver, where we were able to coordinate a visit with my sister Lisa!! Lisa and her new AMAZING lady Sharron took Chad and I to Wynkoop - and yes, its another brewery! Their beers were good - but not phenomenal to my pallet. There was a bit too much hop in the beers I tried, even in the Amber and Red - but Chad really liked it, and I would go again if given the chance. But the company was what I was there for!


So, if you ever have a hankering for good company and beer, I suggest taking a trip up to Colorado! Seriously, this was one of the best overall weekends I've had in quite sometime! Thanks everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment