Friday, April 8, 2011

Best A&A Adopt-A-Trail Work Day EVER!

This past Sunday was the Atheists & Agnostics Adopt-A-Trail Work Party! But not just any work party, it was a special work part on many levels - in a way, this party legitimized our existence, in a very, very positive way!

When everyone got there, the first thing I did was so off our new sign! That's right! The Clear Creek Task Force is so wonderful, unbiased and just plain cool, that they awarded our bunch with TWO brand new, shiny signs, posted at either end of our trail! One is even posted right on one of the busiest intersections in Silverdale. AND surprisingly (which is sad to say... but true) BOTH signs have basically lasted two whole weeks, in tact and un-marred,  there was a fixable bend put into one, but we're not SURE it was intentional.


One special guest we had with us on this fabulous sign-release day, was my Momma! YUP! She not only came to visit me, but she helped us out on the trail! Worked pretty hard too, pulling scotch-broom by the roots, taking pictures and greeting every person who walked by. It was so wonderful to have her there with us for a number of reasons - the first of course to show off all our hard work and my cool friends, but more than that, it was nice to surround her by heathens. My mom isn't "religious" as religions go, instead a deist, but she's never been surrounded by atheists, that I know of. Her opinion: that this effort was wonderful, that everyone was great and that we were genuinely good. But best of all, I think she was happy I had somewhere to go - a community full of wonderful, intelligent, motivated people.


Having my Momma there was great - but there was icing too! We had a few new people show up to work! Not new to the group, just new from the group. Even had a couple kids, who worked their butts off! And ON TOP OF THAT! While greeting everyone, my Mom found one of our inactive members (but an internet member) as they walked by our work party. I'm not sure how the conversation went, I hope he saw our signs then started talking to my Mom, but in any case - he showed up to our next meeting! And that, that to me is the best validation there is.


So here we are, creating somewhere good for good, godless, people to go. Everyone needs somewhere to go, somewhere to take off their mask and be who they want to be. I am happy.


If you want to come help out any time, just let me know! We have a website, bi-weekly meetings and various other events throughout each month!

No comments:

Post a Comment