Saturday, January 28, 2012

Everything is, better than, ok

What a beautiful day.

After a week of rehabilitating snow and wet-cold, working long days, being slightly down in the dumps - January 27th came along, and made everything ok.

I walked out of work early in the afternoon, and was greeted by the bluest sky and brightest sun, I'd seen in weeks. It was warm in the rays - so much so that I could take off my big puffy jacket. It was so nice, I was motivated to take my pup, Milli, for a walk. We walked up the hill, and back down, then over to Island Lake park. It was so beautiful. The water was still. The blue sky reflecting off the calm surface - but the trees' reflection was muddled - blurry. It wasn't till I took a close look, that I realized the lake's center was covered in a thin sheet of ice.

You can see the clear tips of the trees on the water where the ice stops.
The feeling I had, was that of standing outside on a sunny day and feeling rain on your skin - how is this possible. How could a day be so cold, but so sunny. It didn't matter. I loved it.

Later, in the evening, Chad and I were invited to a birthday party. The party in and of itself was wonderful! The highlight of course was celebrating one friend, with many others. But, there was a single event within the party that will stick with me forever. My friend Clark, whose house we were at, brought out a lantern, while we were out by the fire. He told a story about how these lanterns have marked significant moments throughout his life, and thought that this, our common friends birthday, should be marked as well. He lit the latern, and told us all to make a wish. Then it simply took off, slowly, rising into the sky. It went so high, a serene feeling passed over the crowd - we all watched it till it was a mere speck in the night sky.




I found myself having a hard time making a wish. I thought it should be significant in some way... but I realized I love my life so much, and am so happy with where I am, that I couldn't come up with one. So I just watched it float up, hoping that all things in life stay as great as they are.

January 27, 2012 - I'm glad you happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment