Sunday, March 4, 2012

Anderson Landing Preserve

Sometimes I feel like I neglect my dog when Chad isn't around. See, when Chad isn't here I have no trouble justifying sitting on the couch, doing sitting-on-the-couch things, like finishing a season of House, or knitting a scarf, or researching cheese making, or updating my blog. Unfortunately though, this means Milli sits on the couch with me... Usually she sleeps, but every once in a while she just stares at me. She stares at me with those "awww.... mom.... come onnnn...." eyes.

"Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom..."

Yesterday, I decided not to neglect her. I decided to make the most of the day. Heck, it was over 40 degrees and it wasn't even raining, I really didn't have any excuse.

After a little research I found a promising little trail out towards Seabeck. Anderson Landing Preserve, a 68 acre park, parts of which precariously perched on a cliff overlooking Hood Canal.


So, I packed up Milli, and off we went. After a few errands, it was just a short 15 minute drive down Anderson Hill. It was easy to find, yet far enough off the road to escape most car noise. It even had a little parking lot and a map at the entrance.

This little preserve was amazing! There were meandering streams thoughout. Moss covered trees that increased branch diameter 3 fold. And mud... oh my goodness, there was mud. It was not a good day to wear my DCs....


The trail was a perfect intermediate trail - a real hike at times. Three quarters of the walk was up and over hills - extremely steep and slippery with mud at times. I would not recommend this trail if it were raining. Though it hadn't rained in 36 hours, there was standing water everywhere and in places mud so deep it went up over Milli's feet and made a sucking noise as she walked. There was this steep downgrade (would've been up if we had done the loop in the opposite direction) that had bona fide switchbacks. At another part the trail was less than a foot and a half wide, with a steep hill to one side and a sheer 100 foot drop to the other.

This was the skinny part of the trail. It seemed to have been paved at one point and the cliff was eroding out from under asphalt.
 
The scenery was downright awe inspiring. It was like being in another world - with you being the sole inhabitant of an alien landscape full of tall fuzzy green trees and huge mushroom chairs. The ground was littered with fallen trees, huge ferns and tickle waterfalls. This is not a place that gets much sunlight. It was gorgeous. The best part was it was tucked back far enough from the road that for most of the walk you were protected from the road's traffic noise.



At two points the trail gets pretty close to the Hood Canal. The first you could only see it through the trees, but then later on there was a wood landing with a bench that over looked it.



The whole loop took exactly 45 minutes - and that was walking at a slightly faster than leisure pace and with one slight bush-wacking detour. By the end of the walk, my heart rate was slightly elevated and Milli was downright pooped. We will definitely be visiting Anderson Landing again!


No comments:

Post a Comment