Thursday, April 12, 2012

Butter Cake. Enough Said.

Do you have a weird store in your community? You know a store that has foods from all around the world? Or they specialize in one weird item, like say, black licorice? I'm sure you do, and I'm sure its an Asian grocery store - which aren't bad, but nothing compared to mine.

Poulsbo has been - should I say blessed? - with a unique enterprise - and its called Marina Market.

This store is awesome. From the front you'd think they sold fishing rods and bait, maybe a few canned beers - its totally unassuming. But once you walk inside you eyes can do nothing but light up. The front counter alone is covered with interesting, almost gimmicky candies and toys - like bacon shaped bandaids and face sized lollypops. Then, as you look farther back you can just barely see an entire isle of licorice - yes, an entire isle dedicated to black licorice from around he world. As you're glace wanders even further back, your eyes will feast upon a selection of beer, unrivaled by any other local store. And we're not talking Budweiser here, we're talking some of the best, borderline rare brews from all over the world. At this point you just need to walk around. Your eyes will be tired from focusing in on the greatness.

Marina Market is a mostly a grocery store, but they carry a little of everything. As you walk around  you'll notice something, a theme of sorts... take for example the isle where you would find cup-o-noodles. Yeah, you'll probably find a good ole regular chicken cup-o-noodle, but it will be surrounded by much more exotic fares like the Thai rice noodle equivalent and instant Indian curry and borscht soup mix and a Swedish blueberry soup so on and so forth. Down other isles you will see packages with no English on them what so ever. In the freezer you will find, not one, but two kinds of lutefisk frozen dinners. They also carry a bunch of gluten free products and souvenirs.

There is definetely a theme - I'd say a global one - from local to each corner of the world. Every isle holds something new and awesome, but the section I have fallen in love with, is the Dutch dessert isle...

Walking down that isle, is like floating on a cloud... that's been smeared in butter. My first wandering, brought me to an almond filled butter cake. It had no label on it, no expiration date, and it was just a round, flat pie looking thing wrapped in cellophane. When the owner saw me looking at it his eyes lit up, and he told me to hold on. Minutes later I was feasting on a sample cake. Only minutes after that I was buying one for myself.


Chad and I finished it in about 3 days. The taste was addictive, a soft but dense cake that screamed butter and almond extract, and it basically melted in your mouth, similar to the way shortbread does. It was amazing.

That next week I stopped back into the store. I had to find the owner and ask him what he recommended for our next treat - but I wanted it to be similarly delicious, he steered me towards the almond butter cake cookies. They were almost as delicious, but had the added benefit of being portable.

A few weeks later I got a text message from the owner simply stating that - they got the boxed butter cake mix in. I was there within a week buying one.


I made it this past Monday night - and after strict rationing, there is one piece left - and I may, or may not share it with Chad.


This cake was better than the initial cake I ate there. It lacks the almond flavor, but makes up for in fresh, dense, buttery goodness. I think I might just add a teaspoon of almond extract next time I make it. Why not, right? And it was so easy to make. And soooo, sooo easy to eat.


Just to let you know, Marina Market has an awesome website: www.marinamarket.com and they ship just about anywhere (including their beer). You - have - to get one of these cake mixes. You have to. Its my new comfort food. Its my new obsession. I may just make one big enough to sleep in.

Just in case you couldn't find it in the vast expanse of goodies on the website, here is the Boter Koeh link, with the English directions on it: http://www.marinamarket.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=106490 and just to let you know, 7 ounces of butter is just shy of two sticks! And according to the other owner of the store, the cake is even better if you use imported butter! Its less watery than our, apparently lame, butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment