Saturday, April 23, 2011

Egg Dyeing Extravaganza!!!

My favorite day of the year has come!!! and gone..... but that's ok, cause the works of art created live on!!!


At least for a little while...

But in any case! Egg Dyeing Day. That's right - one of the things I look forward to every year! And again, this year I was able to do it with some people I love.


It seems a bit silly, I get that, but seriously... what other day is solely dedicated to playing with your food? When else is it TOTALLY ok to add massive amounts of artificial colors to something?? (ok... I give... green beer on St. Patty's Day! BUT WHEN ELSE!). And lastly - how often do you get to feel like a little kid?! Its just fun - and too many adults have lost that... *sniff, sniff*


So my tradition will go on! I will dye eggs till my arthritis gets so bad I can't pinch the little metal scooper ring, and Chad doesn't want to listen to me gripe any longer for doing it wrong, while he holds it for me!

Hope you all have a Happy Egg Dyeing Day of your own!! And here's a recipe to get you started:

Egg Dye from Food Coloring:

*skinny, tall plastic cups
*liquid food dye/coloring
*water
*white vinegar

Place cups out, they should be tall, skinny cups, big enough for an egg, but small enough to where you don't need a million cups of water to cover the egg, but tall enough so the cups don't overflow with said egg inside.

Place 2/3 cups cool water into each cup.

Place 2 tbls vinegar into each cup of water.

Now, drip about 10-20 drips of food coloring into each cup. Mix and match your colors - blue + red = purple... a weird purple, but still purple. I always err on the side of too much dye, cause heck, no one wants muted eggs....

I made the purple one in the clear cup - cause my stupid kit didn't come with purple! But it worked so well next year, I'm not gonna buy the kit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment