Thursday, April 14, 2011

Kitsap County Says Thank You!

So, as you all know by now, I am involved in quite a different volunteer projects around the county. What you might not know is that Chad is ALSO involved in a couple. Combined we probably give 70 hours a month to various projects - and we love every second of it!

Now, normally when you volunteer, the different groups you work with will hold an annual "Thank  You" event. They will usually have some food, give out a couple awards, and we will all mingle around and have a genuinely good time. This is MORE than enough in my opinion. If you're volunteering for awards and ceremonies, you're volunteering for the wrong reasons. But I have to admit - a bit of thanks always feels really, really, nice.


Well, this past Tuesday, Kitsap County did something to make me feel very special (Chad didn't seem to feel the same way). They hosted an event, "To honor and thank Kitsap County Government Volunteers." We're talking, mailed out invitations and everything! Chad received his invitation first, apparently the county search and rescue is a bit more organized than any of my groups... but then a few weeks later, I got mine!



The event was held at the Presidential Hall at our very own Kitsap Fair Grounds. It was a nice little informal reception - with an appetizer and fruit filled buffet, a few beverages, and some light dessert. The county commissioner was there (oddly enough I had met him the week before) along with a few other county officials. And there was a raffle - which I totally won! I got a ticket to the upcomming County Fair and Stampede. The thing that I thought was coolest though, was they had this huge poster on the wall and on it had the names of every volunteer invited and what department they volunteer under. I found my name right away, under the Parks section, but after another 5 minutes of looking I couldn't find Chad's.... I figured this took an AMAZING amount of coordination to create.


The event made me feel very appreciated! I just thought it was cool that it even existed. I think that all counties should do something like this - I mean seriously - who knows how much money we volunteers save them! I loved it! Thanks Kitsap!

No comments:

Post a Comment